Cheerleading,More Than A Sport. Brenda And Thalia, More Than Best Friends: In Loving Memory

TBTribute

For those who ever said cheerleading wasn’t a sport, you were wrong. Sports don’t just maintain with stats, wins-losses, and overall performances. If there is ever anything that is remembered from any sport, its memories.

As the Belvidere, Illinois community, and those surrounding it, are mourning the loss of two amazing girls, Thalia Arredondo and Brenda Gutierrez. Both girls were cheerleaders in their junior year at Belvidere North High School and they truly brought new meaning to best friends and school pride.

While it’s not “typical” of a sport, cheerleading, to bring two girls’ friendship to a whole new level, Brenda and Thalia weren’t your “typical” best friends. While I personally did not know these two, they have a YouTube video that has caught everyone by love.

The tragedy of the car accident that took these two girls’ young lives it rocked not just a high school community, but by Facebook counts, nearly 15,000 people remember two girls, who lived their lives with happiness, respect, love, and laughter that brightened an entire community.

There will never be a reason to why these lovely girls were taken from Earth, especially since they were on the way to one of the many things they loved to do together, cheer, for their school. With the pride and love they brought to BNHS, BNHS holds true love and pride to the memories of both Thalia and Brenda.

It would be wrong to say that cheerleading wasn’t one of the many things that brought these two closer because if the internet and their video tell myself anything, it’s they love each other, their school, and being together, which is what cheerleading is all about: pride, love, and physical skill.

We all know how Hollywood has depicted cheerleaders in past movies, but not even the best directors could put a script together to define Thalia and Brenda, nor the crazy events that took place. Crazy wasn’t the car accident, that was tragic, crazy was the love, that they had for each other. If you can read this, and take in any positive, let it be that no matter who you are, someone loves you, just as much as you love them.

Not a single thing separated these two, and with all due respect, not even tragic death would separate them. While it may not have been the plan to be taken away from this beautiful Earth so young, if they were to leave, one is most certain, they would leave together.

So this is for you, Thalia Arredondo, and for you, Brenda Guiterrez, may your beautiful souls Rest In Peace. As already mentioned nearly 15,000 people have been touched by your tragic story. As the mourning period is here, I can easily speak for many when I say, we will all begin to live as better people, better friends, and better lovers, thanks to you girls.

With the pride, passion, joy, and love you both had for everything you did in life, it’s almost unfair to have you both in Heaven. Could there not be a better place to have two of the most touching angels? The song in their video is “The Perfect Two” by Auburn and it couldn’t be a better song. It’s like they knew, just how perfect they were, as a two, that acted as one.

The flexibility and strength it took to be cheerleaders, can’t compare to the love and joy it took to be best friends. Nothing, not even death would separate these two. So, when you think of sports just being a win-loss, or stats related, remeber Thalia Arredondo and Brenda Guiterrez who used cheerleading, which is a sport, to further strength their loving friendship.

Condolences, thoughts, and prayers to the family of Thalia Arredondo and Brenda Guiterrez.

May everyone at Belvidere High School stay safe and remember these two newly destined Heaven’s angels, with the same love and passion, that they had.

As the Belvidere community and the surrounding areas mourn the loss of “The Perfect Two” we all must go in the right step forward, to be our own perfect, just like they would.

If anything, these two girls taught us, it’s always better, when there’s two.

Rest In Peace

Thalia Arredondo

&

Brenda Guiterrez

11 Comments

1. Sonja

February 29, 2012 at 7:00 am

Wow, that was very well said! I personally didn’t know them but from watching their video I feel the love the both had for one another! R.I.P. Brenda and Thalia!

2. SS

February 29, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I did personnel know these girls. They were amazing cheerleaders. The knew and understood the meaning of Spirit in Cheering. They understood hard work which is what cheerleading is. They were stars on the team from when Thalia came to varsity as a freshman baby until state competition this past season. And Brenda the following year as a Sophomore. Friday was to be their Senior Salute to their leaving seniors…. they didn’t come and we couldn’t find them, then we heard… Our hearts broke…. Tonight we say Goodbye, Tomorrow is farwell, then we try to heal.

3. Linda Bloom

February 29, 2012 at 7:52 pm

This was a wonderful tribute to the girls. It is so true that the memories love and friendship outweigh the stats. T

4. oli19

March 1, 2012 at 1:14 pm

this is the most sad stories i have ever heard of. i didnt know these two girls but ive watched all of their videos and pictures and i could tell they both loved each other alot and that they were best friends. i still cant believe how this can happen to two young and pretty girls like brenda and thalia. my prayers go to their families. R.I.P thalia arredondo and brenda gutierrez

5. Kandice

March 2, 2012 at 9:40 am

I didnt know these girls but my friend showed me this last night and my heart just broke, Its very unfair that these two gorgeous girls died in such a tragic way. When these things happen it just makes you hope that there really is a Heaven up there. Atleast both girls will always have each other no matter where there souls are. My heart goes out to their families and friends that are mourning there loss. Rest in peace Thalia and Brenda.

6. Kathy

March 2, 2012 at 10:10 am

God Bless all the students that were effected by this devastating loss! I know Brenda & Thalia are in heaven now and looking down on their fellow students. Please know the time they spent on earth was to touch all of the hearts of everyone who knew and loved them! Also the people’s hearts that did not because I live in DeKalb and they have touched all of the kids and parents here also! My heart breaks for the families!! I hope you all know they are in the hands of a Loving God and are now Angels.
    God Bless All who read this.

7. Lacey

March 2, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Rest in Paradise Brenda and Thalia, you will be sadly missed. i will pray for your friends and family. They are now in a better place and yes by watching the famous youtube video, the perfect two, they def were. i could tell by just watching the video that they were truly BFF and its crazy how the both precious girls had to go. :,( </3 they were both beautiful girls and truly deserved their lives but they are in a better place like i said and they are smiling down on earth from heaven and still cheering their high school on forever…..

8. Lisa Scharlau

March 3, 2012 at 12:15 am

As a mother my heart breaks for the families of these two beautiful girls. On March 11 my daughters All Star cheerleading squad ICE Passion from Aurora IL will dedicate their last competiton to Brenda and Thalia…We send our thoughts and prayers out to the family and friends for these two best friends…May they now be in heaven…God bless you all for your extreme loss….

• Santiago Trujillo

April 26, 2012 at 6:12 pm

To Lisa,it was awsome your daughters cheer team dedication to Brenda and Thalia. I like alot of other people was deeply touched by these two ANGELS.Their family and friends were truely BLESSED to have them in their lifes! I will ALWAYS have them in my heart and prayers!!

9. Ivy

March 3, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Watching all these videos just breaks my heart I didn’t know these girls but by the looks of it they were both ment to be friends untill the end. God now has two beautiful Angels watching over their family and friends. These girls looked like they had known each other all their lives and would both do anything for each other. Friendships are hard to find expectally like these once RIP Thalia and Brenda

10. jbae01