- Oxbow Upsets Orb at PreaknessPosted 1 min ago
- Detroit Red Wings Upset Chicago Blackhawks At Home, Tie Series 1-1Posted 45 mins ago
- Blame Game: What Happened to the Knicks?Posted 51 mins ago
- Lance Stephenson’s Career Night Leads Pacers To Series Win Over KnicksPosted 1 hour ago
- Vitor Belfort Earns Another Knockout at UFC on FX 8Posted 2 hours ago
- Cat Zingano: “Bryan Caraway Elbowed Me in Head Intentionally at Weigh-in”Posted 12 hours ago
- Dwight Freeney Signs With San Diego ChargersPosted 13 hours ago
- Daily Sports Wrap Up: May 17, 2013Posted 24 hours ago
- MLS Game Preview: Seattle Sounders FC VS FC DallasPosted 1 day ago
- Jamie Bestwick Wins 8th Straight Gold in BMX Vert at X Games BarcelonaPosted 1 day ago
Big Ten Game Of The Week: Notre Dame @ Michigan State
- Updated: September 14, 2012
This is far and above the game to watch in the Big Ten this Saturday. If you could only watch one Big Ten game this week its this one. Notre Dame is ranked 20th in the country and Michigan State is ranked 10th. This will be the Spartans 2nd game against a top-20 opponent, their 1st one was week 1 against Boise State. This will be the Fighting Irish 2nd game in a row against a Big Ten opponent, last week they played Purdue.
The Michigan State has been dominate this season against Central Michigan and Boise State, as they have yet to allow an offensive touchdown. The Spartans have allowed only 225.5 scrimmage yards per game which is ranked 8th in the country.
Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly has said that QB Everett Golson will be the starting QB for the Irish Saturday night. Junior QB Tommy Rees who started 12 games last season will be available. Rees was arrested in May, which Everett Golson has taken advantage of Rees’s mistake. Golson did injure his thumb late in the 4th quarter against Purdue last week and had problems gripping the ball. Golson’s thumb is now healthy and hasn’t had any problems with it.
Notre Dame will be getting their leading rusher from last season back this Saturday. Cierre Wood was suspended for the 1st two games for violating team rules.
Last season in South Bend Le’Veon Bell struggled rushing for 27 yards on only 7 carries. Bell and the Spartans offense look to revenge last season’s loss, in which they only scored 13 points.
This will be Spartans QB Andrew Maxwell 3 start for MSU (all this season) and will be his biggest test so far and will show whether or not this team will be heading to a BCS Bowl game. Last week Maxwell was 20 of 31 for 275 yards with two TDs and no interceptions.
Notre Dame has struggled against ranked teams on the road lately. The Irish have lost 6 straight road games against ranked teams by an average of 16.7 points. The Irish last win on the road vs a ranked team was against No.22 Purdue on October 1, 2005. The Spartans on the other hand have thrived lately at home against ranked teams as they have won 4 straight.
Now this game should be much better than last season’s blow out. This is a game that could show which team is for real this season. Now if Michigan State defeats Notre Dame it could lead to another disappointing season for the Irish and become a big season for the Spartans in a weak Big Ten.
The Irish and Spartans play Saturday night at 8:00PM/ET on ABC.