- UFC 200: A victory for Jon Jones would mean rebirthPosted 4 months ago
- LeBron James: Legacy Defined for Cleveland’s KingPosted 4 months ago
- Jessica Andrade moving to strawweight for next fightPosted 6 months ago
- How Conor McGregor has changed the UFC foreverPosted 8 months ago
- Jeff Hornacek fired as Phoenix Suns head coachPosted 9 months ago
- Pacific Division wins NHL All-Star Game; John Scott voted MVPPosted 9 months ago
- Hendricks, Thompson to headline now free UFC 196Posted 9 months ago
- Jon Jones to rescue UFC 196? Not likelyPosted 9 months ago
- Emmanuel Omogbo plays despite personal tradegyPosted 9 months ago
- Chris Weidman training for title rematchPosted 9 months ago
California hires Tennessee’s Cuonzo Martin as new head coach
- Updated: April 15, 2014
According to ESPN and media reports, The California Golden Bears have hired former Tennessee Volunteers head coach Cuonzo Martin as their new men’s basketball head coach. Martin will replace former Cal coach Mike Montgomery who decided to retire at the end of this past season.
Martin had been the Volunteers head coach for the last three seasons and led them to the NCAA Tournament this past season. Before his time in Tennessee, Martin was head coach at Missouri State. In his three seasons, Martin compiled a 63-41 record, and ended up losing to Michigan in the Sweet 16 of this year’s NCAA Tournament.
Per ESPN Stats & Info: Cal hasn’t hired a head coach that spent the previous season as the head coach at another major conference school since 1954 when it brought in Pete Newell of Michigan State.
Martin originally was rumored to be a candidate for the Marquette Golden Eagles job before he withdrew his name and told Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart he wanted to remain with the Vols. In effort to make that happen, Hart reworked the contract of Martin to keep him through the 2015-16 season.
Follow Mike Pendleton on Twitter @MP2310
Photo credit: (Grant Halverson/Getty Images)