- UFC 200: A victory for Jon Jones would mean rebirthPosted 3 months ago
- LeBron James: Legacy Defined for Cleveland’s KingPosted 3 months ago
- Jessica Andrade moving to strawweight for next fightPosted 5 months ago
- How Conor McGregor has changed the UFC foreverPosted 7 months ago
- Jeff Hornacek fired as Phoenix Suns head coachPosted 8 months ago
- Pacific Division wins NHL All-Star Game; John Scott voted MVPPosted 8 months ago
- Hendricks, Thompson to headline now free UFC 196Posted 8 months ago
- Jon Jones to rescue UFC 196? Not likelyPosted 8 months ago
- Emmanuel Omogbo plays despite personal tradegyPosted 8 months ago
- Chris Weidman training for title rematchPosted 8 months ago
Report: Lions tell Sammy Watkins they’re serious about drafting him
- Updated: May 6, 2014
The Detroit Lions signed Golden Tate this off-season in efforts to boost their wide receiver core which is dominated by Calvin Johnson, the best receiver in the game. The team may not stop with Tate however. According to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport and Mike Garafolo of Fox Sports, the Lions have reportedly told Sammy Watkins they’re “very serious” about acquiring him, says Watkins himself.
From talking with Sammy Watkins today: The #Lions have made it clear to him they are very serious about potentially trading up for him.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) May 6, 2014
Spoke to Sammy Watkins for an @FOXSports1 sitdown a little while ago. Thinks Lions interest is legit. “It’s kinda serious.”
— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) May 6, 2014
While it seems the only way the Lions will be able to acquire Watkins is via trade, what would they have to give up? There have been ramblings of a proposed Ndamukong Suh trade, but those rumors have been shut down. So, once again, what would it take? The Dolphins traded their #12 pick and #42 pick last year to acquire the #3 overall pick from the Oakland Raiders in which they used to draft Dion Jordan.
So would the Lions have enough to persuade one of the top teams on the draft board? It remains to be seen or even known, but the Lions are clearly very interested in Sammy Watkins. Lions GM Martin Mayhew said on Tuesday that the interest is serious, and Watkins “would fit us” in regards to Watkins’ potential with the Lions.
Follow Mike Pendleton on Twitter @MP2310
Photo credit: (USATSI)