- UFC 200: A victory for Jon Jones would mean rebirthPosted 2 months ago
- LeBron James: Legacy Defined for Cleveland’s KingPosted 2 months ago
- Jessica Andrade moving to strawweight for next fightPosted 4 months ago
- How Conor McGregor has changed the UFC foreverPosted 6 months ago
- Jeff Hornacek fired as Phoenix Suns head coachPosted 7 months ago
- Pacific Division wins NHL All-Star Game; John Scott voted MVPPosted 7 months ago
- Hendricks, Thompson to headline now free UFC 196Posted 7 months ago
- Jon Jones to rescue UFC 196? Not likelyPosted 7 months ago
- Emmanuel Omogbo plays despite personal tradegyPosted 7 months ago
- Chris Weidman training for title rematchPosted 7 months ago
Report: Derek Carr moving up Raiders’ depth chart
- Updated: June 21, 2014
Oakland Raiders’ second-round pick Derek Carr, is making moves with his new team. Head coach Dennis Allen told reporters on Thursday that Carr has surpassed Matt McGloin as the team’s No. 2 quarterback on the depth chart. Offensive coordinator Greg Olson recently said that he does not believe that Carr will need a “redshirt year“.
As told by Allen to CSN Bay Area, the Raiders are trying to “expedite” Carr’s progression.
“We’re trying to expedite his progression. I like a lot of the things that I’ve seen out of Derek. He’s still got a long way to go, but I like the direction that he’s headed.”
With that progression, Allen said he will be looking to see how much Carr can process in August. Processing in August also means having a control of the playbook, and how he handles himself with first-team reps during training camp and pre-season. That developing rate, is reportedly coming at a rapid pace.
Carr’s got one new teammate of his pulling for him. Maurice Jones-Drew, who is entering his first season with the Raiders, says that so far Carr has done “an amazing job“.
“He’s learning the protections, putting himself in positions to be successful, and as a quarterback, that’s all you can do. You have to trust everyone else around you, and so he’s done a great job. Obviously, you want to see what he does when the pads come on, because that’s what really matters, but up to this point, he’s done an amazing job and I know guys are feeling his presence.”
It’s only late-June, but the hot seat for Matt Schaub is increasingly getting warmer.
Follow Mike Pendleton on Twitter @MP2310
Photo credit: (Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images)