- UFC 200: A victory for Jon Jones would mean rebirthPosted 4 months ago
- LeBron James: Legacy Defined for Cleveland’s KingPosted 4 months ago
- Jessica Andrade moving to strawweight for next fightPosted 6 months ago
- How Conor McGregor has changed the UFC foreverPosted 8 months ago
- Jeff Hornacek fired as Phoenix Suns head coachPosted 9 months ago
- Pacific Division wins NHL All-Star Game; John Scott voted MVPPosted 9 months ago
- Hendricks, Thompson to headline now free UFC 196Posted 9 months ago
- Jon Jones to rescue UFC 196? Not likelyPosted 9 months ago
- Emmanuel Omogbo plays despite personal tradegyPosted 9 months ago
- Chris Weidman training for title rematchPosted 9 months ago
Colts believe Trent Richardson can be a three-down back
- Updated: June 25, 2014
The Indianapolis Colts made a big splash last year when they made an in-season trade to acquire Trent Richardson from the Cleveland Browns. The former Alabama running back was projected to be not just the team’s starting running back, but their most productive back out of their backfield.
It didn’t happen that way last year as Richardson struggled to get a grip on the Colts offense, starting 8 of the 14 games he played in Indianapolis, rushing for 458 yards and three touchdowns. Despite his struggles upon arrival, the Colts’ coaching staff believes Richardson can be a three-down back. ESPN’s Jim Trotter was told that very thing.
Coaches also say Richardson is relying more on his instincts when running instead of thinking it thru. Has a chance to be a 3-down player.
— Jim Trotter (@JimTrotter_NFL) June 19, 2014
The Colts gave up their first-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft to acquire Richardson last year, so he’s pretty much their replacement for the pick that Cleveland eventually worked to get Johnny Manziel.
If the Colts do plan on making Richardson a three-down back, it shows they have confidence in him moving forward, and it also means he has shown something this off-season to lead them to believe so. With Ahmad Bradshaw and Vick Ballard coming off injuries, Richardon seems to be the most stable back, but now they need him to be the most productive.
Giving him carries as a three-down back will certainly give all Richardson all the potential to produce.
Follow Mike Pendleton on Twitter @MP2310
Photo credit: (Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)