- UFC 200: A victory for Jon Jones would mean rebirthPosted 4 months ago
- LeBron James: Legacy Defined for Cleveland’s KingPosted 4 months ago
- Jessica Andrade moving to strawweight for next fightPosted 6 months ago
- How Conor McGregor has changed the UFC foreverPosted 8 months ago
- Jeff Hornacek fired as Phoenix Suns head coachPosted 9 months ago
- Pacific Division wins NHL All-Star Game; John Scott voted MVPPosted 9 months ago
- Hendricks, Thompson to headline now free UFC 196Posted 9 months ago
- Jon Jones to rescue UFC 196? Not likelyPosted 9 months ago
- Emmanuel Omogbo plays despite personal tradegyPosted 9 months ago
- Chris Weidman training for title rematchPosted 9 months ago
Report: Ricky Rubio seeking max contract extension
- Updated: July 15, 2014
Despite lack of success and some inconsistent production, point guard Ricky Rubio wants a max contract extension from the Timberwolves. Darren Wolfson of 5 Eyewitness News and ESPN1500 reports that Rubio and his agent are seeking a five-year max extension deal.
— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) July 15, 2014
General manager David Kahn had refused to give Kevin Love a contract extension which has stirred up trade talks for Love, so it comes surprising to see that Rubio would ask for one as well. Reportedly, Kahn, who was fired by the Timberwolves was holding the max extension for Rubio.
Now that Flip Saunders is in charge in Minnesota, there may be no rush to lock up Rubio under a max deal. Last season Rubio averaged 9.5 points, 8.5 assists, and 2.3 steals with his above-average defensive play, but inconsistent offensive production, as he only shot 38% from the field.
At only 23-years-old, Rubio has plenty of room to grow and will likely be the key piece to build around if and when Kevin Love departs from Minnesota.
Follow Mike Pendleton on Twitter @MP2310
Photo credit: (Jared Wickerham/Getty Images)