- UFC 200: A victory for Jon Jones would mean rebirthPosted 2 months ago
- LeBron James: Legacy Defined for Cleveland’s KingPosted 2 months ago
- Jessica Andrade moving to strawweight for next fightPosted 4 months ago
- How Conor McGregor has changed the UFC foreverPosted 6 months ago
- Jeff Hornacek fired as Phoenix Suns head coachPosted 7 months ago
- Pacific Division wins NHL All-Star Game; John Scott voted MVPPosted 7 months ago
- Hendricks, Thompson to headline now free UFC 196Posted 7 months ago
- Jon Jones to rescue UFC 196? Not likelyPosted 7 months ago
- Emmanuel Omogbo plays despite personal tradegyPosted 7 months ago
- Chris Weidman training for title rematchPosted 7 months ago
Jets using online contest to find next Fireman Ed
- Updated: August 12, 2014
Fireman Ed was known as not only the Jets superfan, but also as the leader of the team’s J-E-T-S chant before every game. Fireman Ed has moved on from the team, and now the organization is looking for a new leader. There will be an online contest for season ticket holders, who will have 15 seconds or less to video themselves leading in the J-E-T-S chant.
There will be an online poll from fans to vote, and the team will select eight of the season ticket holders to lead the chant, one for each home game.
Seth Rabinowitz, the team’s senior vice president of marketing and fan engagement said they will review all submitted videos.
“I don’t want to put a number out there, but if people go nuts for it and really embrace it, wonderful. We’ll be ready and we’ll look at every single video. The more the merrier.”
“This idea was really borne out of feedback from season ticket holders. We’ve been, through a variety of different forums, approached by season ticket holders over the past year or so and there was a variance of the same theme: ‘What can you do to help us keep the chant going?’ “
Last season, the Jets had fans in four sections yell out one letter to lead the chant, while the team’s drumline, The Aviators led the chant as well.
The online contest will run from August 26-29 and a winner will be chosen no later September 2, five days before the team kicks off against the Oakland Raiders.
Follow Mike Pendleton on Twitter @MP2310
Photo credit: (Al Bello/Getty Images)