- A.J. Green plans to play Sunday vs TitansPosted 5 hours ago
- Adrian Peterson’s teammate says he should be able to playPosted 2 days ago
- LeSean McCoy says DeSean Jackson will play SundayPosted 2 days ago
- AP’s high school coach admits to hitting player with 18 inch wooden paddlePosted 2 days ago
- Florida State benches Jameis Winston for a half due to vulgar commentsPosted 2 days ago
- Nike suspends endorsement deal with Adrian PetersonPosted 2 days ago
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt listPosted 2 days ago
- NFL and NFLPA finalize drug policy; players reinstatedPosted 2 days ago
- Report: Panthers expected to put Greg Hardy on exempt listPosted 2 days ago
- Kings to retire Peja Stojakovic’s jerseyPosted 3 days ago
Jets using online contest to find next Fireman Ed
- Updated: August 12, 2014
Fireman Ed was known as not only the Jets superfan, but also as the leader of the team’s J-E-T-S chant before every game. Fireman Ed has moved on from the team, and now the organization is looking for a new leader. There will be an online contest for season ticket holders, who will have 15 seconds or less to video themselves leading in the J-E-T-S chant.
There will be an online poll from fans to vote, and the team will select eight of the season ticket holders to lead the chant, one for each home game.
Seth Rabinowitz, the team’s senior vice president of marketing and fan engagement said they will review all submitted videos.
“I don’t want to put a number out there, but if people go nuts for it and really embrace it, wonderful. We’ll be ready and we’ll look at every single video. The more the merrier.”
“This idea was really borne out of feedback from season ticket holders. We’ve been, through a variety of different forums, approached by season ticket holders over the past year or so and there was a variance of the same theme: ‘What can you do to help us keep the chant going?’ “
Last season, the Jets had fans in four sections yell out one letter to lead the chant, while the team’s drumline, The Aviators led the chant as well.
The online contest will run from August 26-29 and a winner will be chosen no later September 2, five days before the team kicks off against the Oakland Raiders.
Follow Mike Pendleton on Twitter @MP2310
Photo credit: (Al Bello/Getty Images)