- UFC 200: A victory for Jon Jones would mean rebirthPosted 2 months ago
- LeBron James: Legacy Defined for Cleveland’s KingPosted 2 months ago
- Jessica Andrade moving to strawweight for next fightPosted 4 months ago
- How Conor McGregor has changed the UFC foreverPosted 6 months ago
- Jeff Hornacek fired as Phoenix Suns head coachPosted 7 months ago
- Pacific Division wins NHL All-Star Game; John Scott voted MVPPosted 7 months ago
- Hendricks, Thompson to headline now free UFC 196Posted 7 months ago
- Jon Jones to rescue UFC 196? Not likelyPosted 7 months ago
- Emmanuel Omogbo plays despite personal tradegyPosted 7 months ago
- Chris Weidman training for title rematchPosted 7 months ago
Tim Howard taking one-year break from U.S. National Team
- Updated: August 21, 2014
Team USA’s World Cup hero Tim Howard shared some disappointing news on his Facebook page on Thursday. Howard took to his page to announce that he would be taking a one-year break from the U.S. Men’s National Team.
The 35-year old Howard has been the team’s starting goalkeeper for the last 7 years. While he plans to take a break off from international play, Howard will not take a break from soccer altogether, and will continue to play for Everton.
“We had a very good and productive conversation. I totally understand Tim’s situation. He was very straight forward and honest in his approach, and I admire him for that. He has a wish to take a step back to take care of his family, and we came to the conclusion that it’s absolutely fine that he takes time off from international soccer until after next summer’s Gold Cup, and then we reevaluate. I told him as long as he is the same Tim Howard that we always see performing well, he will be welcome back with open arms and right back competing for a spot. He knows that he has to prove that he deserves to be back.”
According to USA Today Brad Guzan will step in and be the starting goalkeeper in the place of Howard.
Follow Mike Pendleton on Twitter @MP2310
Photo credit: (Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)