- UFC 200: A victory for Jon Jones would mean rebirthPosted 4 months ago
- LeBron James: Legacy Defined for Cleveland’s KingPosted 4 months ago
- Jessica Andrade moving to strawweight for next fightPosted 6 months ago
- How Conor McGregor has changed the UFC foreverPosted 8 months ago
- Jeff Hornacek fired as Phoenix Suns head coachPosted 9 months ago
- Pacific Division wins NHL All-Star Game; John Scott voted MVPPosted 9 months ago
- Hendricks, Thompson to headline now free UFC 196Posted 9 months ago
- Jon Jones to rescue UFC 196? Not likelyPosted 9 months ago
- Emmanuel Omogbo plays despite personal tradegyPosted 9 months ago
- Chris Weidman training for title rematchPosted 9 months ago
Report: White Sox expected to make run at Victor Martinez
- Updated: August 30, 2014
With Adam Dunn’s contract expiring after the season and Paul Konerko set to retire, the Chicago White Sox will have a need for a DH in 2015. Bruce Levine of 670 The Score in Chicago reported on Saturday that the White Sox will look to sign Victor Martinez from the Detroit Tigers this off-season.
MLB source-White Sox will be players in Tigers Victor Martinez free agent derby this fall.Story @670TheScore
— Bruce Levine (@MLBBruceLevine) August 30, 2014
With approximately $46 million in salary commitments for 2015, the White Sox will have the financial ability to pursue a big name free agent, and the market for Martinez is likely to be hot.
Martinez will turn 36 this winter, and is enjoying the best season of his 12-year career hitting .328 with 26 home runs, 88 RBIs, and only 38 strikeouts in 522 plate appearances. If Chicago does attempt to sign Martinez and Detroit makes a qualifying offer, the White Sox would have to give up a second-round pick, if they finish with one of the worst-10 records.
The pursuit of Martinez will be hot this winter, but a decision is more than likely going to come down between money, championship opportunity, or both.
Follow Mike Pendleton on Twitter @MP2310
Photo credit: (Adam Bettcher/Getty Images)